With its wide-ranging jubilee exhibition 300 YEARS OF THE VIENNA PORCELAIN MANUFACTORY, the MAK is drawing attention to the history and significance of the second-oldest porcelain manufactory in Europe. Founded
in May 1718 when the imperial privilege for porcelain production was granted to Claudius Innocentius Du Paquier, the Vienna
Porcelain Manufactory set new aesthetic standards over the following decades. Some 1 000 objects from the holdings of the
MAK as well as national and international collections offer a formidable overview of Viennese developments in the context
of Asian precursors and European competitors. The MAK has housed the legacy of the Vienna Porcelain Manufactory—under imperial ownership from 1744 and closed in 1864—and
has been dedicated to researching porcelain since its founding years. With examples from all eras of production, the legacy
provides an overview of some 150 years of porcelain production in Vienna. Viennese porcelain production covered a wide spectrum
of ceramics: from dinnerware sets and vases to clocks, from high-quality porcelain sculptures to scenic and floral miniatures,
from porcelain paintings with cobalt blue and gold decorations in relief to large-format porcelain pictures with floral still
lifes. The exhibition 300 YEARS OF THE VIENNA PORCELAIN MANUFACTORY presents the latest research findings with as yet unpublished documents on major works by the Vienna Porcelain Manufactory,
such as the porcelain room from the Palais Dubsky in Brno (ca. 1740) and the centerpiece from Zwettl Abbey (Vienna, 1767/68).
Both the “Dubsky Room,” one of the first rooms to be decorated with European porcelain, and the centerpiece from Zwettl Abbey
are on permanent display in the MAK Permanent Collection Baroque Rococo Classicism, designed by Donald Judd.
Publication The exhibition is accompanied by the publication 300 Years of the Vienna Porcelain Manufactory, edited by Christoph Thun-Hohenstein and Rainald Franz, with texts by Rainald Franz, Andreas Gamerith, Michael Macek, Errol
Manners, Waltraud Neuwirth, Kathrin Pokorny-Nagel, A. Philipp Revertera, Elisabeth Schmuttermeier, Ulrike Scholda, Christoph
Thun-Hohenstein, Leonhard Weidinger, and Johannes Wieninger. German/English, ca. 208 pages with numerous color illustrations.
MAK, Vienna/Arnoldsche Art Publishers, Stuttgart 2018. Available at the MAK Design Shop and at MAKdesignshop.at.
Curator Rainald Franz, Curator, MAK Glass and Ceramics Collection Research Associate Michael Macek, MAK Glass and Ceramics Collection
With representative holdings of ceramics from Austrian production from the sixteenth century until today, unique groups of
objects such as the legacy of the Wiener Porzellanmanufactur (Vienna Porcelain Manufactory) and the extensive collection of
tiled stoves, hafner ware, and majolica of the sixteenth to the nineteenth centuries. The MAKs Ceramics Collection is
one of the foremost collections of its type in the world.