The early oeuvre of Frederick Kiesler (Czernowitz 18901965 New York) in Vienna is marked by works for the theater. Following on from his great success in the Internationale Ausstellung neuer Theatertechnik (International Exhibition of New Theatre Techniques) in 1924 in the Vienna Konzerthaus, for which he conceived the Raumbühne (Space Stage) and the Leger- und Trägersystem (L+T System, a flexible montage system for presenting objects and paintings), Josef Hoffmann invited him to design the Austrian theater section for the Exposition internationale des arts décoratifs et industriels modernes (1925) in Paris. This commission turned out to be the beginning of Kieslers international career as an artist, designer, architect, and stage designer. The interest for his monumental floating structure Raumstadt (City in Space) developed as a result of this was such that Kiesler was invited to take part in the International Theater Exposition in the Steinway Building in New York, (1926).
Drawings, photographs, and models from the years 1924 to 1940 give an impression of Frederick Kieslers development as a furniture artist. Kiesler became a designer of complete interiors, which materialize as model spaces of Modernism, and created remarkable objects on the borderline between utility furnishings and art objects, such as the Nesting Tables (ca. 1935), which can also be correspondingly presented as works of art. They invite comparison with the radical reductionism in Hoffmanns early furniture design (Brettlstil, slat style, Einfache Möbel, 1901) and his archi tecture (Westend Sanatorium, Purkersdorf, 1905; Stoclet House, Brussels, 1911). Kieslers ambition to blend artistic genres and to understand creative work as a form of technology bequeaths a modernity to Kieslers work idea and justifies ist renewed integration into contemporary design production.
Curator Rainald Franz, Curator, MAK Glass and Ceramics Collection
A cooperation of the Moravian Gallery in Brno, the MAK, Vienna and the Kiesler Privat Foundation.
For the realization of the exhibition and other exhibition and tourism projects in the Centrope Region, the MAK, in conjunction with the Moravian Gallery in Brno, is receiving financial support from the sponsoring program of the European Union European Territorial Cooperation Austria-Czech Republic 20072013.